Cooling-Masters
Connexion · INSCRIPTION · Site Recevoir à nouveau l'e-mail de validation

Fluent file extensions?

Ajouter ou retirer ce sujet de vos favoris  ·  Suivre ce sujet  ·  Imprimer ce sujet
Page précédente    Page suivante 
Jag

Membre

mercredi 17 novembre 2004 à 23:37:45     
Hello,

Well, I don't know if this topic belongs in this section or not, but it felt the most likely place to post this doubt.
The thing is: I happen to have access to the Fluent software (6.xx), but I am creating a solidworks drawing.
Does Fluent accepts solidworks files? If not, what is the right software that allows me to design a block and use the file in Fluent?
Google

Rosco

Administrateur

mercredi 17 novembre 2004 à 23:40:15     
Not at all, you need to mesh your geometry before running Fluent. Gambit or ICEMCFD are required (big and complex softwares). You can use Solidworks to make a .IGS for example and mesh it just after creating geometry. If you never meshed one geometry you can stop right now
Zytrahus

:ouch:

mercredi 17 novembre 2004 à 23:40:24     
You have to mesh your "drawing" before export to Fluent.

To mesh, you need a mesher like gambit for example. Gambit for windows needs Exceed which is an emulator to run apps like gambit.

With gambit you will need to mesh and apply boundary conditions before export the MSH file to fluent.

Jag

Membre

mercredi 17 novembre 2004 à 23:51:37     
Thank you both for your replies.
So what you're both are saying is that i need to run a previous software, but does Gambit allow me to create the block, I mean can I draw it there like Autocad or not?

If anyone has done this, what kind of software you used?

Floworks isn't my idea of a CFD package.
Zytrahus

mercredi 17 novembre 2004 à 23:56:55     
Gambit can import from solidworks (if you export your block in IGS file)

but you can also draw some block (if basics features) with gambit (but I think it's easier under solidworks)
Rosco

Administrateur

mercredi 17 novembre 2004 à 23:57:09     
Gambit allows you to create geometry but it's really a pain, poor functions and buggy algorithms some times....
Jag

Membre

jeudi 18 novembre 2004 à 00:15:28     
Merde!
By the way, Autocad Inventor is better with the file extensions needed to run Fluent, or it's the same "song"?
Why don't they make it easy?

Message édité par Jag le jeudi 18 novembre 2004 à 00:22:49
Zytrahus

jeudi 18 novembre 2004 à 00:17:40     
I don't think Autocad can build the mesh... so it would be the same problem...

meshing is a particular thing that is not made with CAD software
Jag

Membre

jeudi 18 novembre 2004 à 00:22:17     
If the only solution will be making some blocks and test them, and as I don't have the testing equipment that some of our American friends have, Rosco or Zytrahus, or anyone tell me what basic material should I get to have some results?
Zytrahus

jeudi 18 novembre 2004 à 00:28:21     
It's really difficult to make good digital simulations and I think experimental ways are better to have some results but experiments need to have a sample contrary to CAD/mesh/calc.

To realize some experiments you need about all "your american friends" own : good measurment systems (thermocouple), DC power with a power resistor regulated, flowmeter...
Jag

Membre

jeudi 18 novembre 2004 à 00:38:52     
I should have put that phrase in commas--> "our american friends", meaning that I don't have that kind of money to spend. Even 1A-cooling are asking for 2400€ for their version of a test bench!

Nevertheless, I would like to know if "my idea" has any value, so my interest in making some crude testing.
Zytrahus

jeudi 18 novembre 2004 à 00:49:04     
you need (at least) a way to make "good" temperature measurments. If you don't use a probe with a good precision or if this probe isn't calibrated, all your datas will be wrong.

About the power resistor, you have something which is a bit regulated. Power variations will make temperatures variations. For example, 10W of difference in power (at about 150W) will cause a 0.5°C difference (with Rth ~0.16C/W) ...

Making experiment with the less money is possible, that's OK, but cautions to your measurments
Jag

Membre

jeudi 18 novembre 2004 à 00:56:03     
Yes, you're right, if done, do it properly.
Well, I'll start with solidworks, then I'll make the block, and hopefully post it here.
Thank you Zytrahus for your support.
Zytrahus

jeudi 18 novembre 2004 à 01:00:39     
Madmike

Membre

jeudi 18 novembre 2004 à 08:37:02     
Isn't it possible to draw with solidworks then mesh with cosmos and then export to fluent ? Or maybe the cosmos mesher isn't good enough ?
Zytrahus

jeudi 18 novembre 2004 à 10:22:27     
If cosmos can write solid works files or exported IGS for example, and if cosmos can export mesh file in 2D or 3D mesh (*.msh), I think it may work
Jag

Membre

jeudi 09 décembre 2004 à 21:01:10     
Can anyone with experience in this kind of CFD programs tell me if the calculations are expected to run for several hours, in average how much time does this kind of program need to perform the tests?
Rosco

Administrateur

jeudi 09 décembre 2004 à 21:38:23     
some minutes in 2D to some weeks, depends of complexity and power needed
Zytrahus

jeudi 09 décembre 2004 à 21:42:05     
Jag

Membre

vendredi 10 décembre 2004 à 00:10:15     
O.k, that's it then.
You see, I managed to get a friend's computer with soliworks and floworks, and when i tried to run the CFD program that thing just said "calculating" and no action, no disk activity, yet the cpu usage was allways 100%.
I was like this the entire afternoon, and in the end i gave it up, thinking, something was wrong.
Then i thought of asking you.
Well, thanks for your replies.

Message édité par Jag le vendredi 10 décembre 2004 à 00:10:34
Rosco

Administrateur

vendredi 10 décembre 2004 à 00:13:52     
FLoworks is quite slow in comparison of true professional software like Fluent, CFX, StarCD... If you give BS to a CFD software, you'll get BS , no less no more
CFD requires a lot of knowledge and years of practice because there's a lot of things to do in order to optimize calculations and have decent results.
Jag

Membre

vendredi 10 décembre 2004 à 01:09:10     
Yes, Rosco, i know Fluent would be the ideal thing, but i don't have the meshing program
This is like a second option.
Things should be as simple as they appear to be (sometimes).

From what i see, the real difference between real life testing and simulation is the cost involved in manufacturing the part, because they seem to take the same amount of time to test something => (beginners opinion).

Message édité par Jag le vendredi 10 décembre 2004 à 01:09:32
Google

Page précédente    Page suivante